NY Department of Buildings has a system in place that lets builders, contractors, plumbers, electricians and whoever else is involved with them make up their own rules.

My situation:

I hired an architect who recommended a general contactor and his son to build my shop. After having problems with this duo, my architect says, " this is how it is done in NY, unlicensed people use the license of someone who has a license." Not knowing the NY system, and my architect from here would know things, left it at that.

Needless to say, I had many problems and ended up with a shop that was not functional. So in having a shop that was not functional and not being able to operate as a shop would, this had impact on my trade.

When I lodged a complaint with the NY Department of Buildings, they investigated with little interest. So I take the approach, "sort this out so it doesn't happen to anyone else."

I find out:

1. you can use any address for your business, proof is not needed.

2. architects can recommend unlicensed workers with no repercussion

3. when a complaint is lodged that a business does not exist at an address, nothing is done

4. company details don't have to be advertised via signage outside their place of business, or on the vehicle

Had an Experience with NY Department Of Buildings?

Comments

becareful
Cusick, Washington, United States #426820

Unfortunately everything I have written is true. All documented evidence is presently with the appropriate authorities.

Everything you said is untue.I work in NYC.

It is illegal to use someone else's license. It is the responsibility of the contracting party to verify licenses.

I am licensed, I had to pass the test, put up the proper insurances, and I work to code and call for proper inspections.Your architect lied to you, but how to prove it, and more important, did it make sense to you what he was saying?